Monday, October 17, 2005

Spending the weekend in Leeds...

It is at least two and a half years since I left Leeds to migrate -like other migrating species- to the south of England.
On Thursday, we (my girfriend and I) caught the fast train from Kings X station to Leeds, and after 2.5hrs we were waiting for a cab outside Leeds train station. We met our friends, spent a notable amount of time talking about the shitty weather and women started chit-chating. I left them and paid a visit to the Borders bookstore to check some new books, drink a banana-strawberry smoothie and relax! We later met in a posh bar /restaurant , where we had a nibble and started to consume the first bottle of wine for the weekend (and believe me, it was a smooth start). The next morning I was woken up by an armed robbery taking place just meters off the neighbourhood. Apparently, according to the police, the robbers ditched the getaway car just on the edge of the neighbourhood and they set it on fire.
That was a rather cruel way to wake up, especially while having a hangover!
Later on, there were police officers cordoning the street and questioning the residents around the hood.
Around afternoon, I met a friend of mine and we went for a stroll around the Leeds Market to buy some greek feta cheese and greek-style spinach-pies. (At this point I want to note that my girl bakes a much tastier spinach-pie!) We grabbed a cup of coffee and spent the next few hours checking the new collections in Waterstones Bookstore!
That night we were invited to a party that was dominated by Greeks, Spanish, Italians and Portuguese! It was sooo colourful, so intense and there was enough booze!( At least for the first half hour)
We downed Budweisers, white wine, rose wine and when everyone was desperately looking for booze, I found half bottle of cachaca. Given the fact that it was rather difficult to find brown sugar and lime to produce the famous Caipirinha , I tried to be innovative and used Lilt instead ! Apparently it works just fine!!!
The party was a success (mostly because of the venue and its host, Nuno)
When we returned home, around 4.30am, I cooked some pasta (Spagghetti con pomodoro e basilico) and we downed another Chardonnay.
After another hangover and a rather late awakening, a strong cup of coffee always makes things better!
Saturday night. Fancy a burito and a jug of sangria??? or rather two jugs of sangria and a couple of margeritas for the ladies... Great food, even greater booze. ( what is going on, am I addicted to drink or what?)
Sunday morning, no sign of a hangover, thus it was my turn to cook breakfast. A rather classy english breakfast of eggs and bacon served on white toast bread, and white coffee.
We then walked to the Millenium Square where there was an art exhibition on display (Earth from the air) and after spending an hour in HMV listening to new releases, we then figured that we were hungry again! We chose italian this time and we did enjoy it! (two bottles of Chardonnay were consumed)

Sunday night was an alcohol-free night which we spent watching the Backstage footage of the Greek Playmate 2005 contest... The girls and the presenter weren't interesting enough, I must admit!
Early in bed, early up, caught the train to kings X and we are back in our normal life.

I did feed the goldfish! I have to change their water though!

Photos are on their way...

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must admit I had a great time in Leeds too! We had a blast and i totally loved it! We should do it again!!! Next time we can go to Ireland-->Dublin or visit Anglesey in Wales :D Cant wait!

xxx LA xxx

17 October, 2005 23:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't you tell me that you were so busy that you didn't even have time for talking to your friends? And now I find out that you enjoyed a great weekend in Leeds...without me...I'm very disappointed in you. Just kidding...
Seriously, I'm glad you had such a blast. You deserve it! Sounds like you're gonna need a new liver soon, though.

19 October, 2005 08:44  
Blogger Memento aka a moment in life said...

Come on... I only drunk about 2 glasses of wine each night... at least that's what I remember.(!!!)

It was a cool brake. (I haven't been to a party or to a bar/club in England, for at least 2 years )

I start work tomorrow morning, and I have to catch up with the current experiments and papers on the lab... So, I will try to relax and read some cool papers.

19 October, 2005 16:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 glasses of wine????You are such a lier! :PPP

Thanks for the tip Leah!next time we ll have to try American Del Taco to see if it works cuz the Mexican food we had in Leeds didnt do much!

As for the new liver...can I have one too???

c ya :D

19 October, 2005 17:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 glasses of wine ... and you really expect me to believe this???? I know what these parties are like and it's never just 2 glasses of wine...

Anyway, hope you enjoy your time back in the lab - and don't work too much!!!

Oh, and as for the liver - I can spare a small part of mine, but I'm afraid, it will only be big enough for one person. I'll need the rest for my own partying.

19 October, 2005 17:40  
Blogger Memento aka a moment in life said...

THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH MY LIVER!!!

19 October, 2005 19:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing about the liver was meant as a joke. I'm sorry, if you didn't construe it as such. Don't be mad at me! I was just teasing you.

19 October, 2005 20:16  
Blogger Memento aka a moment in life said...

I used capital letters by mistake... hehehehe

19 October, 2005 20:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're not mad? Glad to hear that!!!

19 October, 2005 20:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we'me missed you, more than you knowww..

05 January, 2006 16:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home